So you’re stressed. Unbelievably on edge. Feeling like a pressure cooker that’s about to burst.
‘Tis the season, yes?
I’ve been using the month of December to introduce some simple energy medicine techniques. These practices take mere minutes to work through, and the end results are simply magical: a sense of calm, level-headedness, feeling grounded and centered, and going with the flow. Aaaaahhhh…
If you missed some of the previous posts, here are direct links:
Today, we’re going to take five minutes and bring our brains gently (but quickly and effectively) out of the dreaded fight, flight, or freeze response.
When we experience stress (which, for many of us, is constantly), our bodies naturally divert our energetic resources to the back of our brains (the limbic system) as well as to our extremities. By design, we default to fighting the perceived danger or threat, fleeing from it, or freezing up and making like a deer in headlights. Classy.
Regardless of whether we tend to fight, flee, or freeze, the stress response is not fun. It feels awful and exhausting.
We aren’t able to think clearly or creatively when we’re under stress, our digestion gets put on hold, and over time, the stress response takes an incredible toll on our adrenal systems, taxing the hell out of our bodies and generally making us both miserable and (ironically) more susceptible to feeling stressed. Ack.
Luckily, it’s easy to ‘interrupt’ the natural stress response and to make your way back to calm in a matter of minutes.
Here’s how to do it (in three variations, so you can pick and choose your preferred method):
- Start by rubbing your hands together to activate your natural energetic currents.
- Close your eyes, place your thumbs on your temples, and spread the rest of your fingers across your forehead– fingertips from each hand meeting in the center of your forehead.
- Take deep, even, cleansing breaths.
- Your fingers will naturally magnetize blood and energetic resources away from the back of your brain to your forebrain, which is the seat of creative thinking, problem-solving, and focus.
- Within 3-5 minutes, you will notice a ‘pulsing’ sensation on your forehead beneath your fingertips. When you are aware of this energy in the front part of your brain, open your eyes and enjoy your newfound sense of calm!
- If it is uncomfortable to hold both hands across your forehead for any reason, you can also place one hand horizontally across your forehead and the other hand horizontally across the back of your skull.
- Follow the same procedures listed above (rubbing hands together, eyes closed, breathing deeply, etc.) Again, within 3-5 minutes, you will notice your pulse slowing down, the tightness in your lungs relaxing, and the stress response dissipating overall.
- Rub your hands together to activate your natural energetic currents.
- Cup each hand as though you are trying to hold water in them– keep your fingers tightly together and curl your fingers inward slightly like a small bowl.
- Close your eyes.
- Place one cupped hand over each eye socket, with the butt of your palm resting on the bone of your occipital lobe below the eyes and your fingers stretched up and resting on your hairline. (Remember not to spread your fingers out!)
- Imagine your hands filling the space above and around your eyeballs with rich, nourishing, and soothing energy. You might picture this healing energy as a dim but potent light (or, you might imagine a mini galaxy hovering above your eyes and gently magnetizing all the stress out of your body and away from your being.)
- Shift your awareness back and forth between giving your body soothing energy and pulling stress out from it. (Your hands are magical and can naturally do both!)
- When you feel rested and re-energized, slowly move your hands away from your face, keeping your eyes closed. When you are ready, gently open your eyes and readjust to your surroundings.
There is no risk involved in doing these procedures, so use and repeat them as often as you wish. Have fun!
If you’re interested in learning more about energy and how you can benefit from simple energetic exercises, I invite you to sign up for my newsletter! I share additional tips and examples with my subscribers every few weeks, and I’d love to have you join this magical community. –xx, Dana